People like to move from one place to another without hassles. Kayaking, camping, touring, and hiking are very popular nowadays. Many people make a combination of kayaking, camping, and touring for maximizing their enjoyment.
To do this an inflatable kayak is an excellent option. These are easy to store, transport and launch. A variety of inflatable kayaks are available on the market nowadays. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is one of them which is on the apex of popularity among inflatable kayak lovers.
In this article, I will share my own Intex Explorer K2 Kayak review and I hope that this will help you to make a good decision before getting this kayak.
So let’s dive into the real facts which people like or dislike whether you should purchase or not!
Table of Contents
What are included under this price?
A little manual hand pump is provided with this kayak. Since it a tiny pump it requires more time to inflate the kayak and at the same time burns some extra calories. If you don’t want to spend such energy use an electric pump and wait for the full inflation. There are three ports for pumping the kayak. Two boston valves are for two side tube and other is for floor I beam pumping.
It is a large bag that holds all the accessories and kayak provided by the manufacturer. The bag is an excellent indicator of premium portability of the kayak.
Two aluminum oars are provided with the kayak under this low price. These paddles are divided into 3 portions. For this kayak, the length of the paddles is slightly less. That’s why, you will get wet during paddling by incoming water from the paddles.
Generally three valves are provided for inflating the kayak. Two Boston valves are for side tube and other for floor.
Two inflatable seats are provided. 3-5 minutes are required for inflating the seat. Seats have the adjustable straps. So you can adjust easily.
Two grab handles are for carrying the kayak to and from the water.
A fin or skeg is also given under this price. After inflating the kayak you can add this fin. This will give a straight tracking experience during paddling.
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Review on Accessories
First of all I am satisfied with all the accessories they provide under this price. If you buy these accessories one by one from market you have pay more than this kayak. So from the cost perspective I am super satisfied.
From usability perspective I think some accessories is not up to the mark like the hand pump is not quality product. You have to spend more energy to inflate the kayak.
My recommendation is to buy an electric pump. Inflate the kayak up to 90 percent then give some push using manual hand pump to get 100% inflation.
A ruler is given for measuring proper pressure of your kayak. Measure this for getting good response from the kayak.
Paddles are ok for giving strokes but the problem begins with water comes in when you paddle. You get wet quickly due to this shorter paddles even with the drip guards on the paddle shaft. Solution to this problem is that you have to make your paddle longer. Either you buy another or make existing paddles longer.
Two side tube Boston valves are good and nice for inflation and deflation. But the floor valve is not that good for this process. You have careful during inflating the kayak. You have to constrict the neck of the valve to keep the pressure before closing the valve. Otherwise some pumped air will go out quickly.
Seats are very handy and adjustable but not comfortable for longtime use in case of back support. The skeg is good and easy to install and remove.
Reviews on accessories in a nutshell
3.8 out of 5.0
Use electric motor to automate the process
4.5 out of 5.0
3.8 out of 5.0
Get longer paddle
4.5 out of 5.0
4.5 out of 5.0
4.6 out of 5.0
4.3 out of 5.0
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Review on performance
On smooth water with some current, this kayak tracks well. If you are planning to use this kayak as tandem then you can paddle this kayak on such water with a good speed but due to having less space in tandem paddling, you may feel cramped.
You may paddle for two hours at a stretch without any leg cramped. If you feel such then take a break then start again. From my view, I found that for two people or tandem use this kayak may track well with a decent speed but not much comfortable as leg do not have enough space for relaxation. For solo use, you will have plenty of space for a comfortable ride.
Tracking performance is better using the skeg. The kayak tracks more straight than without skeg.
Since this kayak is lighter than any other solid kayak it is unstable in a windy areas. It will swing around more easily than a regular kayak. For better stability performance choose a place where the wind is less and make sure that you use an anchor for keeping you at the same place.
This kayak is better for fishing and recreational use at the same time. Many people like this kayak due to its low price and nice features at that price despite having minor issues. That is why it is one of the best fishing kayaks at a low cost.
- Inflatable kayak means easy to store anywhere and super portable than any other kayak
- Less set up time is required (approx. 10-15 min)
- Good weight carrying capacity. If you are a slim person then you can carry your dog and your partner with you.
- Vary easy launching on the water and ideal for lake and calm water
- Best of all it is very affordable.
- Beginner friendly.
- Legroom is limited in case of tandem use. For solo, It’s perfectly ok
- Tracking is not straight and efficient. There is a yaw movement when paddling.
- The valves and other accessories are cheaper and not nice to use.
- The warranty comes with 90 days only which is below market standard. The material used is thinner than other inflatable kayaks.
My recommendations for better performance
If you are a new kayaker or having your first inflatable kayak for fishing or recreational uses then follow the following suggestion for a good performance and satisfaction while paddling this kayak.
- Do not overinflate the kayak. Inflate up to 10 cm. as they suggested. Use the scale they provided for measurement. If you lost it make yourself one. It is easy to make. Just take a flexible strap and measure it using a steel ruler or tape then put a marking on it. That is it.
- If you want better performance and comfort and planning for a long trip then you should consider solo paddling. Remove the second seat and take your necessary gears and take your seat rearmost position for large leg space.
- Do not overinflate your seats. You don’t need a hard or rocky seat. Over inflation can lead to early damage to your seat.
- To avoid water coming in from the oars take longer oars or make existing oars longer.
- Always use the skeg for straight tracking. Remove it after kayaking and storing the kayak.
- To inflate the kayak easily and quickly use an electric pump instead of the manual pump they provided. If you do not have any rush or don’t take manual pumping as hard work then this manual pump is also good.
Final Thought of Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Review
If you are on a vacation or don’t want to carry a heavy kayak with you or you are planning camping at a different location then this Intex Explorer kayak is the right option for you.
I enjoy this kayak very much due to its some super cool advantages. Nothing is perfect in the world. If you buy a kayak spending a thousand dollars there is a probability that you may not like all the features or design of that kayak.
So the bottom line of the Intex explorer k2 kayak review is that under such a low price for getting started fishing and recreation, this kayak can be tested. For me, this kayak has saved my bank account balance cut while giving me much fun on the water.